[FoRK] Inertial Mass != Gravitational Mass?

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Tue Jun 15 05:35:31 PDT 2010

I should note for the record that unlike some previous mumblings where
I have hopefully clearly been lampooning something or another, this
actually approximates "serious" conjecture on my part.  But we'll
see.  It's just that, conjecture.

Re Stephen's corollary, it seems to me that the effects of the
unversal tensor would necessarily become de minimus relative to local
near local mass(es) so the effects would generally only be observed at
larger scales across highly varying distributions of observable mass.
(Also, depending on the mechanism of non-locality, some degree of
homogeneity might be assumed, so I tend to think the idea of
balkanized islands of local physics is somewhat suspect.)

And indeed, that's where we are at today, conjuring unicorns like dark
energy and matter to "explain" certain observations like galactic
rotation and clustering.

That and some speculation about various small-scale phenomena (eg the
Casimir effect) are what led to this in the first place a decade or so
ago for me.

I should also note that the idea plays well with algorithmic TOEs,
particularly in a probabilistic / MWI formulation, as an information-
theoretical interpretation of the respective tensors is readily
apparent. I.e. mass-stress-energy = information.  Possibly also
explains expansion / inflation.

Aside: anybody know the latest thinking on the Pioneer anomalies?
Last I checked the MONDians were making some hay with that....

$0.02,

jb