[FoRK] Malthusian machinations

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Tue Jun 15 07:22:10 PDT 2010

On Jun 15, 2010, at 8:44, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> Not good enough. Let's make the target 1% of all electricity world
> wide
> produced by thorium reactors, by 2020.

Make it 1% of TODAY's production level by 2020 and you, sir, have
yourself a bet. (Somebody else will still need to write it up and
adjudicate, though.). Stakes?  I'm open to suggestion. Something
practical and non-financial, valuable enough to sting just a little
but not too much for whoever's tighter at that point. Suggestions?
Journal subscription? Charitable contribution? An instrument of some
kind?

(Another interesting bet would be calling the crossover point where
solar overtakes nuke of any / all kinds. Would have to think about how
to frame it, though.)

Of course, this all assumes we generally continue to dodge enders for
another nine years.  But hey, if we don't I guess I don't pay out
anyway. Score! ;-)

jb