[FoRK] Malthusian machinations

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Jun 15 08:38:14 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:05:36AM -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Also forgot to point out:  this is total BS. Among other things, it
> already feeds the planet today.  And the progress rate is superlinear.

That's not bioengineering. That's HANPP

	http://www.pnas.org/content/104/31/12942.full

Engineering a viable, harvestable species (or symbiotic cluster)
to absorb U/Th from seawater which can auto-amplify to sufficient scale without
introducing side effects is something we can't do yet. And won't
be able to do sufficiently long that it doesn't matter. This problem
is resolved by 2050, this way, or the other.

> >And releasing GM organisms into...
>
> ...the ecosystem is a corner we've already turned and cannot un-turn.

The ecosystem is something we've a) destroy b) haven't decoupled
from yet. Apart from the cheap abundant clean energy issue this is
the second best candidate to cook our collective geese. Squawk.