[FoRK] Malthusian machinations

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Tue Jun 15 10:06:51 PDT 2010

On Jun 15, 2010, at 11:49 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:21:05AM -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:
>
>> A few questions.
>>
>> Aren't these assertions mildly incompatible?
>>
>> I'd assumed that your thin-print method was what you were referring to
>> as machine phase;  though incremental the implication, I thought, was
>
> No, no. Machine-phase is numerically controlled
> chemical bond formation by nanorobotics. Stuff like http://www.rfreitas.com/

Yeah, got it --- and you really think we're going to get there without passing through a protracted wet-bootstrap phase?  (You ack the bootstrap problem in the very next paragraph.  I really see no way to get through that without huge, gooey, quasi-biological, and very cool mess in between...)

So, I accept re: definition of machine phase, let's refer to the non-nano stuff as "industrial phase" perhaps.  I assert that from our present industrial and nascent bio-engineering phase we go through an advanced bio-phase which at minimum sees us gain the rather unimpressive abilities needed to directly "grow" things like U-sponges, or solar films, via a biologically mediated process (not to mention other actual wet phase processes, more resembling chemical engineering than e.g. what most people imagine for nano) before we get to a directly-programmable nanorobotic machine phase.

That seems like a potential wager, too... ;-)

jb