[FoRK] Malthusian machinations

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Wed Jun 16 05:03:35 PDT 2010

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 15, 2010, at 10:37 PM, "Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo" <ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> --- On Tue, 6/15/10, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
>

>>> And releasing GM organisms into...
>>
>> ...the ecosystem is a corner we've already turned and cannot un-turn.
>>
>> Just keepin' it real.
>>

> YeahBut. Does that mean we should just keep making it worse? Push it to the tipping point (wherever that is)?

This assumes that it's a bad thing in itself.  It's not;  no tool is inherently "good" or "bad."

I suggest that without using whatever tools we have at our disposal to confront whatever problems we encounter at various points along the way, we're in a world of hurt.

It's not like we're going back to the trees.  Willingly, anyway.

So, as should be clear from parts of the prior exchange, I view judicious but widespread use of increasingly sophisticated bioengineering techniques as a necessary, desirable, and probably long-term bootstrap step along the way to a robust molecular nanotechnological industrial base, and potentially a synergistic adjunct to them in the even-longer term.  It's not without risks, but I think the certain existential risks in NOT pursuing it outweigh any possible mitigating concerns.

jb