[FoRK] Closing funny bits, was Re: Malthusian machinations

Russell Turpin russell.turpin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 11:47:35 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 8:16 AM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
> ...unless you are one of these wacky folks that believes the origins of
> oil are misunderstood and it replenishes at a vastly faster rate than
> current or anticipated demand...

That last is really the key. Regardless of how oil came to be, we tap
reservoirs trapped by geography. Even if it were the case that those
reservoirs naturally replenish in a geologic time frame, that's hardly
relevant for the next few tens of millions of years.

> Sustainability is a myth...

I wish more people understood that. If anything is certain, it is that
we won't be doing the same things a 200 years from now that we are
doing now.

The degree to which was preserve the natural environment, on the other
hand, is something that I suspect our descendants in two centuries
will measure us by.