[FoRK] Malthusian machinations

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Wed Jun 16 13:08:10 PDT 2010

On Jun 16, 2010, at 1:00 PM, Dave Kammeyer wrote:

> You sound like a troll.

So:  you think Eugen's a troll, and he probably thinks you (and maybe everybody else that's weighed in on this) are delusional and pollyanna.

Eugen's not a troll.

He's got more context and background than anyone I'm aware of on this list with respect to discussing this particular topic, with perhaps only one exception (not me.)  I am a bit puzzled by his insistence that everything other than his preferred solution is a non-starter, and even moreso by the relatively inflexible stance re nuclear, but I've no doubt he's got what he at least believes to be a reasonable explanation for that.  I wish I knew what that was.  (Apparently we have at least part of the explanation:  he sees no way to avoid the gap we've discussed, so he's only concerned with ensuring that any condition on the other side is optimal.  I'm not so pessimistic --- or maybe it's moreso.  I think the gap is avoidable, potentially, but fear that if we fail to avoid it, there won't be another side to worry about.)

I sense that he's running into the same problem I'm running into, and feeling the frustration even a bit more.  It's difficult to shift gracefully from the long, strategic view to shorter, more-tactical ones, back and forth.  But to (a) understand the magnitude of the problems we face at various points along the way, and (b) figure out realistic paths that get us from solving shorter-term issues to longer ones, that's exactly what has to happen.

It ain't easy.

But we've got a bunch of very smart folks here.  It's worth paying close attention to what everybody has had to say on a matter this important;  particularly in the disagreements.  These are real issues, not e.g. some argument about whether Superman can beat up Mighty Mouse.

j 'voice of reason' b  ;-)