[FoRK] Closing funny bits, was Re: Malthusian machinations

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jun 16 13:25:55 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 01:47:35PM -0500, Russell Turpin wrote:
> > Sustainability is a myth...
>
> I wish more people understood that. If anything is certain, it is that
> we won't be doing the same things a 200 years from now that we are
> doing now.

Two centuries are completely out of reach of predictability,
unless we manage to pull a real collapse.

Our problem today is to manage an orderly transition within
the next half century. No major famines, no major sliding back
in capabilities, no wars. That will be challenging enough.

> The degree to which was preserve the natural environment, on the other
> hand, is something that I suspect our descendants in two centuries
> will measure us by.

In next two centuries, the environment is rather close to pristine,
or close to extinct. There does not seem to be a middle way.