[FoRK] Malthusian machinations

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Wed Jun 16 16:23:23 PDT 2010

--- On Wed, 6/16/10, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> > [oil] will still be available for many years to come though at higher
>
> You haven't understood the problem of peak oil, then.
>

> > On the Uranium supply front, there won't be much of an issue as long
> > as people can tolerate slightly higher prices. Right now, natural ...
>
> You haven't understood the problem of peak resource, then.
>
> > Uranium is only 2% of the price of delivered electricity, so even
> > dramatic increases in Uranium prices wouldn't cause too much trouble.
> > Uranium is only mined in only a few places in the world for commercial
> > reactors, but if we really started looking, there are lots of other
> > places that we could find it.
>
> You're unfortunately, dangerously wrong. If that's still the prevalent
> mode of thinking we're in deeper trouble than I thought.

The bad news is, that's the prevalent mode of thinking for those who have begun to think about it. The worse news is that most have not even gotten to "peak" anything yet. Most of the people I know haven't heard of it ("peak" resources), don't really get it when you explain it or don't believe it if they get it.

That's not spoken as an elitist (I don't think). I'm a pretty ordinary kinda guy who mostly associates with ordinary kinds of people. I think the people I associate with normally are much more representative of the general population than this list. I have had the misfortune to have the discussion with a couple of elected politicians, federal and provincial, and a couple of candidates. Two simply didn't grasp the concept. The other two were of the pathologically glass-half-full species who didn't believe it. I was left with the impression they didn't believe such a thing could ever happen, so perhaps they didn't really get it either.

         ...ken...