[FoRK] Closing funny bits, was Re: Malthusian machinations

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Wed Jun 16 17:52:18 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 04:59:54PM -0700, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
> Re the markets pricing things in .. this has been one major source of my
> ongoing mistrust of anything related to "free market" fairydust. When it
> comes to e.g. environment or resources almost none of the things that
> matter are priced in.

Externalities.  We usually use governments to (clumsily) price them in, or
at least see that they're accounted for.

All in all, it's a dumb and unstable way to coordinate a civilization, but
with effective control systems, it beats central planning.

I do think we're running a bit underdamped these days,
  Aaron