[FoRK] Closing funny bits, was Re: Malthusian machinations

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Wed Jun 16 22:23:04 PDT 2010

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 16, 2010, at 7:52 PM, Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 04:59:54PM -0700, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
>> Re the markets pricing things in .. this has been one major source of my
>> ongoing mistrust of anything related to "free market" fairydust. When it
>> comes to e.g. environment or resources almost none of the things that
>> matter are priced in.
>
> Externalities.  We usually use governments to (clumsily) price them in, or
> at least see that they're accounted for.
>
> All in all, it's a dumb and unstable way to coordinate a civilization, but
> with effective control systems, it beats central planning.

Exactly. +1.

> I do think we're running a bit underdamped these days,

In some areas.  In others, overdampened.  In most areas, just wrongly dampened.

Hey, y'all catch the latest D.C. Kings-Of-The-World insanity?  Presidential "Internet kill switch," anyone?  (Though that term actually VASTLY understates how egregious and odious that piece of legislation actually is...)

It's for our own good.

jb