[FoRK] Malthusian machinations

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Thu Jun 17 06:52:20 PDT 2010

On Jun 17, 2010, at 6:06, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> I think there's a great case to be made that energy falls
> under infrastructure, and infrastructure should be
> ideally owned by end users or municipalities,

Also...

Ironically, the places that are most in need of this and best-
postioned politically and economically to make it happen are worst-
positioned practically.

Dense urbs that built up rather than out fall far below the necessary
illuminated surface area per capita threshold to meet even present
demand at present or near-term anticipated yields. And much of the
available space is already claimed for other "necessary" purposes.

They're in worse shape on this front vs the sub-, ex-, and non-urbs
than they are even on the food front.  Solar power generation is area-
based.  Food is volume-based.  You can farm a skyscraper given
sufficient power and / or possibly clever mirrors and light channels.
But you don't get much usable illumination sufficient for power
generation in midtown Manhattan; I'm skeptical that you could do
enough of the same to eg have vertical / interior sunlight-harvesting
to meet demand.

Don't get me started on water supply.  There's an elephant in the room
that nobody is talking much about...  But admittedly a little
acessible tech goes a long way there.

$0.02,

jb