[FoRK] RPE and understanding company performance

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jun 17 21:49:04 PDT 2010

On 6/17/10 9:22 PM, Bill Humphries wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2010, at 9:14 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
>

>> You know, I've long been obsessed with EPE as a key indicator of...  something important about how different companies go about their business.  Wish more people paid attention to this metric and what it *means* --- particularly in terms of how to get things done.
>>
> Now I'd love to see the salary distributions mapped against that chart.

And over time.

Plus perhaps with a tier or two of employees stripped off.  Amazon for
instance has a lot of warehouse / shipping / fulfillment employees.  I'd
like to see the labor-intensive part of the business separated from
eng/corporate/marketing.  In other words, unskilled / semi-skilled labor
is a scalable commodity that is somewhat disconnected from the creation
/ management part of the business.  For instance, if every employee of
every McDonalds franchise were counted, the profit-per-employee would be
tiny and hide what is really going on at the corporate level.
Conversely, eBay's profit doesn't give you a good feel for average
profit per working participant.