[FoRK] RPE and understanding company performance

Bill Humphries whump at mac.com
Fri Jun 18 00:35:36 PDT 2010

On Jun 18, 2010, at 12:03 AM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> What do you think I said that was offensive??  To whom?

I'm not arguing about the relative wage of the stock puller vs. the VP of Product Development, heavens, I understand wage theory.

What I found offensive is that you wanted to remove the labor of the warehouse workers from the calculation of average profit per employee.

First because I thought your remark implied that they are superfluous to revenue and profits and somehow orders would magically ship without them. If that were the case, Amazon wouldn't hire people to do that work.

Second, because I think it's dismissive of them as people, and I read your comment as "well, it's not like they are real people like the ones in the front office."

The people in warehouse may be unskilled labor, but until Andrew's robots do that work, they are needed to fulfill orders, regardless of if they are paid $20K or $120K a year.

- whump