[FoRK] RPE and understanding company performance

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jun 18 06:03:20 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:26:12PM -0700, Bill Humphries wrote:

> >> Wow, Stephen, so the corporate level could sling all those burger orders and fill all those Amazon boxes?
> >
> > Machines could.
>
> Strangely, they haven't yet.

The operative word is yet. Long-term, you don't need
people at all.

We've been on that journey for a while now. So far, we lack
a working solution to pay the displaced to be idle. In fact,
many still deny that the problem exist.

> No doubt that the people working those jobs would be happy
> to give it up to a robot so they could take other work.

Which other work, though?

> And, if a robot was filling your order at McDonald's, it'd
> be highly unlikely that they'd spit in your burger after
> hearing what you said about the value of their labor.

People here are still under the illusion that a machine
can't take their place? Whence the money to pay the
robotic hamburgista, then?