[FoRK] Extreme Life Extension: Investing in Cryonics for the Long, Long Term

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Fri Jun 18 19:36:38 PDT 2010

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 18, 2010, at 8:18 PM, Reese <howell.r at inkworkswell.com> wrote:

> On 18-Jun-10 19:25, Jeff Bone wrote:
>>
>> The article:  http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/section?content=a921989939&fulltext=713240928
>>
>> Via
>>
>>   http://www.longevitymeme.org/news/view_news_item.cfm?news_id=4773
>>
>> Investing in Cryonics for the Long, Long Term (Thursday June 17 2010)
>>

>> transparent.gif
>
> <snip>
>
> Please don't send HTML mail.

That's truly bizarre.  Should not have been.  Weird cut n paste behavior, maybe.

> But about cryonics? Is that the nom de jeure for cryogenics?

Nothing new about the term.  Cryogenics more properly means the general science of cold and its engineering applications.  Cryonics is the use of cryogenics for potential life extension and preservation.

> Not that I think that freezing ones-self is bunk, but there does
> need to be a measure of certainty that seems to be lacking in the
> case of M. Williams.

There's a qualitatively infinite difference between epsilon and zero probability in this area.  Hardly matters if it's bunk, as there is approaching certainty that nothing else we have today will do the trick.

Re Williams, yeah.  That firm had some real problems and real trash, despite being the premier company in the world doing this.  They're apparently, at least, making a good faith effort to get their act together.  But I'd love to see more credible competition in this space.

jb