[FoRK] Inertial Mass != Gravitational Mass?

Harish Singh senqua at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 19 00:04:41 PDT 2010

JB.
No monkeys zipping around the cosmos yet. Yet, researchers, John
Singleton and Andrea Schmidt of Los Alamos and their colleagues, have
built a sort of wire in which an electric pulse can outpace light.

Singleton says the basic principle of FTL currents goes back to work
by English physicist Oliver Heaviside and German physicist Arnold
Sommerfeldt in the 1890s, but was forgotten because Einstein's
theories dissuaded physicists from thinking about FTL phenomena, even
those that evaded the theories' strictures. I've only just touched on
this engrossing physics and I recommend you read the team's papers,
beginning with this one. "People just don't think about things moving
faster than the speed of light," Singleton says. "This is a completely
wide open and unexplored field."

Fascinating stuff.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=faster-than-light-electric-currents-2010-06-18

http://arxiv.org/abs/0903.0399