[FoRK] Extreme Life Extension: Investing in Cryonics for the Long, Long Term

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Jun 20 01:31:20 PDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 08:44:13PM -0700, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:

> Of course. I'm no genius but I'm not a total maroon.
>
> Neither am I a polymath. I know exactly nothing about the market or the technology. It has never caught my attention or imagination (aside from the speculative fiction its existence enables).

Given that Alcor uses an iceblocker I helped develop
I probably know a thing or two about the whole field.

> Why do you, jb, care about competition for this particular company?

The problem is less competition than another attempt, which
is more likely to get it right (by virtue that you can't make
it any worse than it already is). If you roll the dice often
enough eventually you'll get something you'll like.

It wouldn't nearly be enough, but it would 100% more than what we have.

> Are you interested in freezing yourself and want improved tech/cheaper prices?

Yes. Not cheaper prices, it's too cheap as is. Given what medical
insurance covers today (in the terminal phase) it should check out.
In fact, as an option it could be a wash, or a saving.

> Is there something especially useful about the technology they are
> using/developing besides using it to freeze people's heads?  Etc?

I think indefinite life spans are quite useful, but that's just
me.

> It struck me that if there is little/no competition at this point,
> perhaps there is no compelling reason for it. Or a good reason for its absence.
> Perhaps not an irrelevant market or technology but nearly so?

Market alone is not panacea. Look at how medical centers of excellence
emerged. Cryonics is medicine. Or should be an integral part of terminal
intensive/emergency care. How do you peer review if you have no peers?

It's pretty clear what's needed to make it work. It doesn't look like
we'll get what we need anytime soon.

> I don't know so I ask. You seemed to know so I hoped for a less condescending response.  ;-)

If you're willing to slog through several 100 PowerPoint slides
please contact me offlist.