[FoRK] Extreme Life Extension: Investing in Cryonics for the Long, Long Term

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Sun Jun 20 04:51:18 PDT 2010

On Jun 19, 2010, at 22:44, "Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo"
<ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Why do you, jb, care about competition for this particular company?
> Are you interested in freezing yourself and want improved tech/
> cheaper prices?

I'd like the option if required, yes.

But here's the thing; if you assume the procedure is medically
feasible, then that's all it is, a medical procedure.

"Sir, would you like for us to defibrillate your heart if it stops
during your heart attack?"

Some questions just don't need asking. ;-)

> Is there something especially useful about the technology they are
> using/developing besides using it to freeze people's heads?  Etc?

Potentially preventing one's unnecessary demise isn't enough?

Tough crowd.

> It struck me that if there is little/no competition at this point,
> perhaps there is no compelling reason for it.

> Or a good reason for its absence. Perhaps not an irrelevant market
> or technology but nearly so?

Apply same arguments to the first companies working on defibrillators
at the dawn of that technology...

To the extent that the demand isn't there yet, it's because the
technology hasn't yet been demonstrated to work and / or awareness
isn't there.

Too, irrational beliefs may obscure the cold calculus of its necessity
for many...

> I don't know so I ask. You seemed to know so I hoped for a less
> condescending response.  ;-)

I wasn't attempting to be condescending.  Rather surprised, yes.  As I
said, seems obvious to me.

Re Alcor specifically, what Eugen said.

jb