[FoRK] Extreme Life Extension: Investing in Cryonics for the Long, Long Term

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Sun Jun 20 18:15:33 PDT 2010

Eugen, thanks for the information. I'll take a pass on the Powerpoint slides. My attention and interest is currently focussed on figuring out how to fix the carburetion on my new motorcycle to restore what the EPA taketh away. Fairly basic physics principles involved but getting it all to work together properly seems to also involve Voo-Doo and other metaphysical elements. I have ordered new jets and have a couple of sacrificial events scheduled.

--- On Sun, 6/20/10, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> But here's the thing; if you assume the procedure is
> medically feasible, then that's all it is, a medical
> procedure.

Like I said, I didn't know. In this case I've simply never looked at it that way. Real medical procedures are normally something to make you better or make you undead. I've only viewed this procedure as a way to keep you dead but maybe revivable. Maybe.

> "Sir, would you like for us to defibrillate your heart if
> it stops during your heart attack?"
>
> Some questions just don't need asking. ;-)
>
> > Is there something especially useful about the
> technology they are using/developing besides using it to
> freeze people's heads?  Etc?
>
> Potentially preventing one's unnecessary demise isn't
> enough?

Again with the condescension. I've never really viewed this as something preventing someone's demise, not even potentially. Yet. Not even if it works as advertised. The crucial piece is still sorta missing.

It's not comparable to defibrillation. Defibrillation is the direct equivalent to the part that's conspicuous by its absence: the reviving part.

I guess I shouldn't say the reviving part is missing. I guess I should look for some evidence that it exists or is at least being progressed on sufficiently to suggest it might someday exist.

If I did that and found some positive evidence, then I might consider it a medical procedure.

BUT...

I am personally much too familiar with some circumstances where I would hope like hell someone would not just automatically get out the defibrillator.

It's one of those questions that damn well should be asked in some circumstances. In the medical community it's know as a DNR order ... Do Not Resuscitate.

If I make the real stretch and stipulate that this might actually be some sort of equivalent to [hugely delayed] resuscitation: If I kick it, check for: existance of DNR order, tissue donor card and, now, Do Not Freeze card.

Please ask. Some questions absolutely shouldn't be skipped or answers assumed.

Your experience may vary. At least I hope it does and it's unfamiliarity that causes you to assume everyone thinks as you do about the Goodness of resuscitation. I assure you this has zip to do with dogma.

       ...ken...