[FoRK] Sent from my iPad

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Jun 20 23:20:53 PDT 2010

On 6/20/10 10:34 PM, Frank Hegyesi wrote:
> The whole "Sent by my Iphone/Ipad" thing reminds me of Tsarist Russia
> in the late 1880s.  Men with disposable income would grow their nails
> long and paint them just so they could click on counter tops while
> they were waiting to let people know they had money.
>
> Sad how most people with that type of disposable income never realize

An iPad is another $500-700, which is significant, however it is not
like it's an expensive diamond ring or something truly useless and garish.

It is a very nice (pico? nano?)-computer, i.e. a stripped down but still
significantly fast computer with a good screen and a great form factor.
$500 is nothing for a great tool like that.  People spend tens of
thousands, and usually tens of thousands more than they have to on a
vehicle which has a whole lot less potential life effectiveness.

Why have more than one?  Assuming they wouldn't break it right away, to
give your children the best (potentially) window on knowledge and the
world they could have.  See "Diamond Age".

If you're super-frugal on everything, fine, you can one up us by buying
a 4 year old used laptop on eBay or Craigslist, running Linux, getting a
Wifi router on Freecycle, and using your neighbor's free WiFi.  (Or
Google if you live in Mountain View.)  Good computing can be basically
free right now.

Most people blow a ton of money on eating out, drinking, buying clothes,
expensive purses, trips to Vegas etc., smoking, their vehicle, house,
etc.  Spending strategically on the best phone, Internet connection,
laptop, and Internet / app device can and often does make extremely good
sense in the cost/benefit analysis.

I recently bought a high-end, fully packed MacBook Pro.  I already have
several laptops, but the extra speed, RAM, and ease of use directly paid
for itself several times over in less than a month, and is repeating
every month so far.  My last major project, mostly Java, for instance,
was taking 6+GB of RAM for edit/compile/debug.  A larger, faster machine
wasn't a luxury, it was essential.

When I start flying again soon, I'll probably have to get an iPad
because I've already seen the aviation related apps that are available.
Even a small amount of increased safety and efficiency by better, more
complete information makes it worth it.  I'd already have one, however
I'm having too much fun developing for Android and playing with my Evo.
Funny how the Evo screen is large enough that I'm not sure I need the
larger form factor of the iPad anyway.  It's small enough to put in your
pocket, but huge compared to a Pre.

Stephen