[FoRK] Sent from my iPad

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Jun 21 01:25:56 PDT 2010

On 6/21/10 1:11 AM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
> On Jun 21, 2010, at 12:29 AM, Frank Hegyesi wrote:
>
>> After using Mac OS for a month a few years ago I installed Ubuntu on my box.
>>

> The value of MacOS that Ubuntu does not even come close to delivering is software support. MacOS supports a diverse and wonderful set of software environments that is pretty hard to match on any other platform. This may not mean much if you have limited requirements, but many people need more capability than you'll get from a Windows or Linux system. I stopped messing around with nasty hacks years ago, I want stuff that works.
>
> Where else are you going to get a capable UNIX development environment and competent implementations of basic business applications?

And you can run Ubuntu in VMWare / VirtualBox (and even Windows) to get
access to everything else.

Actually, for development, I've found several times that Linux just
works while I have to tinker a lot with OS X.  Depends on whether it is
already part of MacPorts and/or had OS X tinkering done already.

Stephen