[FoRK] Sent from my iPad

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Mon Jun 21 01:54:35 PDT 2010

On Jun 21, 2010, at 1:25 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:

> Actually, for development, I've found several times that Linux just works while I have to tinker a lot with OS X.  Depends on whether it is already part of MacPorts and/or had OS X tinkering done already.

I've never had any real problems with POSIX on MacOS, but I'm never trying to link in a bunch of strange libraries either. To the extent I want to do something unusual at the system level, I find MacOS to have a better set of APIs than Linux. Most of the code I write on a Mac is only tested locally; it is for HPC and massively parallel environments, which works just fine. In fact, a lot of the wonky Apple parallelism support makes this type of testing easier; most non-standard extensions you might use elsewhere or exotic platforms have a trivial mapping to that wonkiness.

It really depends on what you are doing, as usual. A lot of Linux code doesn't port quite right to MacOS, but in many cases MacOS provides a better set of tools to work from.