[FoRK] 2000 iMac compared to the 2010 iPhone

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Mon Jun 21 13:13:14 PDT 2010

Source http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1114049
> 2000 iMac
> Operating System - Mac OS 9.0.4
> Processor - 500 MHz PowerPC G3 CPU, 128MB Memory
> Graphics - ATI Rage 128 Pro, 8MB of memory (8 million triangles)
> Screen - 786K pixels
> Data Transfer Speeds - 1.3-12.5 MB/s (DVD-ROM-1/100 Ethernet)
> Storage - 30GB Hard Drive
> Dimensions - 15.0 x 15.0 x 17.1 inches
> Weight - 34.7 pounds
>
> 2010 iPhone 4
> Operating System - iOS 4.0
> Processor - 1 Ghz ARM A4 CPU, 512MB Memory
> Graphics - PowerVR SGX 535, uses system memory (28 million triangles)
> Screen - 614K pixels
> Data Transfer Speeds - .04-20MB/s (3G-WiFi)
> Storage - 32GB Flash Drive
> Dimensions - 4.5 x 2.31 x .31 inches
> Weight - 4.8 ounces

The days of the desktop are over, have been for some time. We had a
class of 300 college juniors and seniors, with ~150-200 in the room,
nobody put their hand up when we asked who had a desktop. A couple knew
"gamers" that had them.

Servers are for scientists, ISPs (Cloud Service Providers, hype hype).
Desktops for some engineers, and computer labs.
Laptops for the creative class, and the default option.
iPad/iPhone class for the consumer class.

Things are finally starting to look like they should :)

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/