[FoRK] Sent from my iPad

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Mon Jun 21 13:39:12 PDT 2010

On Jun 21, 2010, at 15:12, Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 12:33:37PM -0700, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>> On 6/20/10 7:59 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:
>>> jb
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> FYI, Don't care.
>
> Funny how a tacked-on Yahoo! blurb is a mark of shame, while a
> tacked-on
> Apple blurb is a mark of pride.

Wait, let's take a quick poll.  Who thinks it is a mark of pride?  I
certainly don't, nor do I think I said or did anything that could be
construed otherwise.

It's continued OCCASIONAL presence, in those cases where I neglected
to edit it out and before clearing the default, were a mark of sheer
laziness on my part.  Nothing more.  But on that front, yes indeed,
guilty as charged.  Didn't give it a second thought. No IDEA this
little patch of noise this gadget was inserting below the threshold of
my awareness would instigate this shit storm, much less judgments
about my character.

The thing that irks me so about this is that I'm one of the most
obliviously anti-status symbol, anti-fashionable people I know.
Allergic to bling.  Buy my clothes in bulk so they're interchangeable,
and wear em to tatters. Just ask Russell.  Drove a crapped-out decade-
old jeep until giving it up a couple of weeks ago for the more-
practical baby tank.  Etc.

The other irksome bit here is, really, the venomous response is really
all about Apple, and from the usual peanut gallery.  Turn the argument
around:  why does an iPad default sig promote this kind of nonsense,
but not Yahoo? Google Groups? Hotmail? Blackberry?

Can we call this topic done, now?  You all flogged me into getting off
my lazy ass and clearing out the default sig, oh, nine thousand
messages ago.

Is there more?  Really?

jb