[FoRK] Sent from my iPad

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Mon Jun 21 15:54:55 PDT 2010

(It just won't go away.  The herpes metaphor has legs...)

On Jun 21, 2010, at 5:30 PM, Aaron Burt wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 03:39:12PM -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:
>> On Jun 21, 2010, at 15:12, Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> wrote:
>>> Funny how a tacked-on Yahoo! blurb is a mark of shame, while a
>>> tacked-on Apple blurb is a mark of pride.
>>
>> Wait, let's take a quick poll.  Who thinks it is a mark of pride?
>
> It's that or a mark of "I haven't figured out how to turn off the automatic
> advertising on my outgoing email."  Which interpretation would you prefer? :)

False dichotomy alert.

^figured out^bothered and you get a lot closer.

That plus, as mentioned already, it was so inconsequential to me that I failed to even notice it consistently.  When I did notice, I edited it out;  many messages sent to list from said device absent offending sigil.  But never in a million years would it have occurred to me that anyone around here (well, except maybe Tom) would be so, I'm sorry Aaron, searching for the word here, "sensitive" about such things as to assume the dichotomy you assert above.  Fucking hell and a half, I wish I had a time machine.  I'd certainly avoid this flurry of cat shit in a thunderstorm if I could simply go back to iPad Day-Zero and set it straight.

I stand corrected.  Apparently, FoRK is populated by numerous incarnations of Cayce Pollard.  And Apple is the Michelin Man.

Noted, and the offense has been addressed.  Is more penance required?

> Mostly just interested in the variable desirability of obtrusive branding.
> Some brands, you put up with.  Others, you show off.

I am apparently oblivious to such (to me) trivialities --- though I wouldn't have thought so before, in most matters of style I semi-passively seek out anti-branding and genericity.  No chrome.  No bling.  No labels.  No logos.  No designer anything.  (Well, I do like Molton Brown soaps.  But that's the only kind of brand-lock I get into:  I find things I like for reasons of functionality, and then I buy them until, inevitably, they are no longer available.  Grief cycle commences, then replacements are sought.)

Hell, my palette's even so muted that I catch shit for THAT.  Here all along I thought *I* was Cayce, and was apparently wrong about that.  What an interesting inversion.

So lynch me.  Oh wait, that was already attempted.

jb