[FoRK] Extreme Life Extension: Investing in Cryonics for the Long, Long Term

silky michaelslists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 18:45:57 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

[...]

> A similar concern:  Roger Penrose's hocus-pocus quantum origin of consciousness also argues against the
> plausibility to a large extent, as well as against strong AI in general and any form of uploading.

Surely, though, it seems like the most likely (or at least best) way
to achieve unlimited life is to build yourself into a machine. The
only amusing question (covered on other lists[1][2], I suppose) is
which one do you become, when the upload is complete. They'd need to
kill the human copy, before re-awaking the computer version, but that
implies part of you would die (the human part). Well, it's interesting
anyway, but as far as extending life, I would imagine that's the more
"practical" sci-fi approach.

But I must agree, I've never given any serious thought to extending my
life via some strategy other than living well.

--
silky

  http://www.programmingbranch.com/

[1] everything: http://weidai.com/everything.html