[FoRK] Apple collecting, sharing iPhone users' precise locations

silky michaelslists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 19:00:04 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Michael Cummins <michael at i-magery.com> wrote:

[...]

> What have we wrought, for good or ill?

People only see the convenience side. I'm not even sure there are
enough bad things that could happen as a result to stop the trend
(it's obviously a factor of the connectability we have, which will
only increase, until it explodes, it won't go backwards).

Perhaps someone needs to invent a strategy that allows for the
convenience to be retained, but also allows for privacy. One way would
be to have each company encode the data onto some other mapping, that
is one-way, but still can be helpful. Some approaches could be
invented that would still allow the 'locate x in my y' to still work
effectively. It might mean storing a bunch of localised translations
on phones themselves, but it could then allow the centralised data to
be completely impersonal. I'm sure there are other schemes. It's
probably soon going to be time to stop complaining and start just
trying to protect the clueless for the benefit of society at large.

--
silky

  http://www.programmingbranch.com/