[FoRK] Extreme Life Extension: Investing in Cryonics for the Long, Long Term

silky michaelslists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 19:24:46 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

[...]

>> Surely, though, it seems like the most likely (or at least best) way
>> to achieve unlimited life is to build yourself into a machine. The
>> only amusing question (covered on other lists[1][2], I suppose) is
>> which one do you become, when the upload is complete. They'd need to
>> kill the human copy, before re-awaking the computer version, but that
>> implies part of you would die (the human part). Well, it's interesting
>> anyway, but as far as extending life, I would imagine that's the more
>> "practical" sci-fi approach.
>
> A lot of assumptions built in there, the first being a set of problematic ones about the nature of perceived identity in the first place.
> Continuity of self even in vivo may be an illusion; there's growing evidence to suggest that it is, or at least that it is far less meaningful than we usually assume.

So you're not a believer in Mechanism:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanism_%28philosophy%29 ? I would've
thought you would be. I mean, it doesn't matter what we pereceive as
long as we can reproduce it in something else.

> Btw, FoR is / was an excellent list.  I was a sometime and low-volume participant in it some years back.  It spawned numerous serious
> papers and even a book, Dr. Russell Standish's excellent semi-ironically titled "Theory of Nothing". Highly recommended; one of the only
> books I've ever bothered to review on Amazon.

Yes, I only recently found it (from the everything list) but the book
it's named after looks interesting, and I still have a lot of reading
to do in that area before I even become remotely knowledgable.

>  http://www.amazon.com/Theory-Nothing-Russell-Standish/dp/1921019638
>
> As for the "kill the human copy" --- not necessarily.  Cf. "Ship of Theseus.". (That's the name of a philosophical argument,
> not some obscure Golden Age sci-fi thing...)

Amusingly, I suppose either way (well, at least if both are revived)
you still "die" at least once. Does this mean if you are the type that
believes in heaven, you'll have two copies of yourself there :P

--
silky

  http://www.programmingbranch.com/