[FoRK] 2000 iMac compared to the 2010 iPhone

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Mon Jun 21 19:29:21 PDT 2010

--- On Mon, 6/21/10, Adam L Beberg <beberg at mithral.com> wrote:

> The days of the desktop are over, have been for some time.

Just call me An A. Chronism as I sit here in front of my two desktops. The laptop and netbook are in their respective carrying pouches where they remain until travel happens. The screens are much too small and the keyboards are too small and misshapen (fucking flat rectangles!!) to be taken seriously when not absolutely necessary.

The desktops are not game machines but, still, to get this much horsepower in a laptop or tablet would cost ten times what it cost me to build the towers. And it would still have a fucking flat rectangle for a keyboard.

     My wrists wince just thinking about it.  :(

I'm also highly suspicious of anything that does not have a keyboard at all. There is still no useful substitute. Palm was almost there with Graffiti but not quite. Nobody is even close with voice. And nunna this virtual OSK silliness. You can ill afford to waste the screen real estate on one especially with the smaller form factor devices. And listening to Jeff whine about his typos, and reading the ones that got away, just confirm that they may be okay in an emergency but they can't really be taken seriously.

         ...ken...