[FoRK] Apple collecting, sharing iPhone users' precise locations

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Mon Jun 21 19:33:28 PDT 2010

On Jun 21, 2010, at 8:18 PM, "Michael Cummins" <michael at i-magery.com> wrote:

> What have we wrought, for good or ill?

Ditto all the concerns expressed.  Far from an Apple thing, this is pervasive, one of the defining issues of our time.  Mine ancient FoRK history and you'll find that I was a pretty inflexible privacy wonk, once upon a time.  Still have profound reservations.  Even had narcissistic Oppenheimer-esque misgivings as Active Paper wrote the first open mobile e-mail client..  Was nearly convinced to ex-pat myself and become the president of Hush by its founder.  Tugged at my heart strings.  Now-wife's disinterest in moving to Anguilla at the time convinced me not to do that. (Thanks, Jen.  Seriously.)

Hated Brin for making his argument.  Gordon Mohr, though he probably doesn't realize this, convinced me that this hatred was an unreasonable position, and that Brin's argument was at least worthy of serious consideration.  (Thanks, Gordon. Seriously.)

Loss of privacy isn't just inevitable, it seems a fait accompli and quite possibly irreversible sans massive loss of technology base.  If you make that assumption, then it's a matter of protecting what you can and ensuring that the transparency is as totally symmetrical as we can manage.

That or somehow replace the whole thing with a privacy friendly base technology while defeating the attempts of the vested interests to prevent you from doing so.  Kind of like changing the tires on a bus while it barrels down the road at top speed.  With a bomb underneath that will go off if you slow down.  And people shooting at you.

(I didn't just semi-reference that movie, did I?  Aaaargh... ;-)

jb