[FoRK] Extreme Life Extension: Investing in Cryonics for the Long, Long Term

silky michaelslists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 19:41:41 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Jebadiah Moore <jebdm at jebdm.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 9:30 PM, silky <michaelslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> True, but I am trying to understand how the me that is looking at the
>> computer me could reconcile what has happened. Which one would "I" be?
>> The one that is typing this now? Would I be the human, or the
>> computer, or both? Or none? Would the human me be sad at my impending
>> death? Or comfortable because the computer me would live on? Clearly,
>> I would expect the human me to be sad and concerned, because he would
>> have different memories, and thus a different identity. I'm suggesting
>> that one of the two would need to die as the copy is made, otherwise
>> continuity of the singular person wouldn't be complete. Ideally, death
>> of the former would be a direct result of creation of the latter, via
>> some sort of entanglement process ...
>
> Both versions (the original and the copy) would feel like they were the same
> "you" as before the copy.

I'm not so sure. The computer me; he would know he was a clone. How
would the affect his life? Assuming that I am aware of the
transferance operation, I would know that when I "wake up" in the
computer, the "real" me will be looking at the screen. It would be
quite confusing and not something I'm sure we can graps right now.

> The "you" before the copy wouldn't exist at this
> point in time, so he wouldn't feel anything.  The human you would probably
> feel roughly the same about death as before, though it might be a comfort to
> know there is another near-perfect copy there to be with your loved
> ones/carry on your legacy/etc.

Agreed. You'd feel more comfortable about it; but you would also still
feel that part of you was going away forever. With the death of the
human, you know that at least you were the contiuation of yourself at
the point of the copy, and therefore haven't really "lost" anything,
except the remaining potential of the human life.

Perhaps, then, a way of considering it would be to make the copy at a
healthy/happy age, and then "switch" to the copy at the time of the
humans death. Transfer in all relevant memories, delete all errors,
and carry on. Certainly, there is a strange world due for the people
living in a time when this is possible.

--
silky

  http://www.programmingbranch.com/