[FoRK] Apple collecting, sharing iPhone users' precise locations

Jeremy Apthorp nornagon at nornagon.net
Mon Jun 21 19:51:56 PDT 2010

On 22 June 2010 12:33, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2010, at 8:18 PM, "Michael Cummins" <michael at i-magery.com> wrote:
>
>> What have we wrought, for good or ill?
>
> Ditto all the concerns expressed.  Far from an Apple thing, this is pervasive, one of the defining issues of our time.  Mine ancient FoRK history and you'll find that I was a pretty inflexible privacy wonk, once upon a time.  Still have profound reservations.  Even had narcissistic Oppenheimer-esque misgivings as Active Paper wrote the first open mobile e-mail client..  Was nearly convinced to ex-pat myself and become the president of Hush by its founder.  Tugged at my heart strings.  Now-wife's disinterest in moving to Anguilla at the time convinced me not to do that. (Thanks, Jen.  Seriously.)
>
> Hated Brin for making his argument.  Gordon Mohr, though he probably doesn't realize this, convinced me that this hatred was an unreasonable position, and that Brin's argument was at least worthy of serious consideration.  (Thanks, Gordon. Seriously.)
>
> Loss of privacy isn't just inevitable, it seems a fait accompli and quite possibly irreversible sans massive loss of technology base.  If you make that assumption, then it's a matter of protecting what you can and ensuring that the transparency is as totally symmetrical as we can manage.

I have seen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sousveillance put forward as
some sort of resolution of this issue by a number of singularitarians.

Personally, I don't know where to stand on the privacy scale. After
having thought about it for some time, I still don't even really
understand what privacy *is*, or  whether it's inherently important.
The question I try to ask myself is: what would a society with no
privacy look like? Would that be a good society?

It's also worth noting that privacy is a relatively new concept. As
far as I can tell, it started being important to people around the
mid-1700s: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=timeline-a-history-of-privacy

Why did privacy not matter to people before then?