[FoRK] Extreme Life Extension: Investing in Cryonics for the Long, Long Term

Jebadiah Moore jebdm at jebdm.net
Mon Jun 21 20:08:46 PDT 2010

> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 9:41 PM, silky <michaelslists at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not so sure. The computer me; he would know he was a clone. How
>
>> would the affect his life? Assuming that I am aware of the
>
>> transferance operation, I would know that when I "wake up" in the
>
>> computer, the "real" me will be looking at the screen. It would be
> quite confusing and not something I'm sure we can graps right now.

This all really depends on your personal attitude going into it.  I mean,
the computer version is obviously going to have a different lifestyle (I
assume he's not getting a body indistinguishable from a normal one), so that
might be a little bit of an issue, but I imagine for me I wouldn't be too
upset by it, since I don't really believe in things like the 'real' me.  For
some people (I assume you) it would be more problematic.

Perhaps, then, a way of considering it would be to make the copy at a

>> healthy/happy age, and then "switch" to the copy at the time of the
>
>> humans death. Transfer in all relevant memories, delete all errors,
>
>> and carry on. Certainly, there is a strange world due for the people
> living in a time when this is possible.

Now imagine you do it at birth, live in a simulated world (video game
simulated), and can back up when you screw up.

--
Jebadiah Moore
http://blog.jebdm.net