[FoRK] Extreme Life Extension: Investing in Cryonics for the Long, Long Term

silky michaelslists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 20:16:02 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Jebadiah Moore <jebdm at jebdm.net> wrote:
> This all really depends on your personal attitude going into it.  I mean,
> the computer version is obviously going to have a different lifestyle (I
> assume he's not getting a body indistinguishable from a normal one), so that
> might be a little bit of an issue, but I imagine for me I wouldn't be too
> upset by it, since I don't really believe in things like the 'real' me.  For
> some people (I assume you) it would be more problematic.

I personally can't quite come to terms with the idea that there would
be 2 of me thinking what I'm thinking right now. What I mean is, my
consciousness; would it be aware of the other? Arguably if not, there
could already be another me that was cloned at some point, and he is
totally seperate and meaningless really, from my point of view. I may
even hate him, for being so similar to me. It's a strange situation, I
think.

[...]

> Now imagine you do it at birth, live in a simulated world (video game
> simulated), and can back up when you screw up.

Yeah, being able to reverse decisions is interesting. Who is the
master? Do you live in your own world, where I can reverse a decision
of yours? Or can I only reverse my decisions? (Obviously, there's a
flaw in either of those approaches). So I think reversability of
decisions is not possible without living in your "own" "world". And
then if so, what's the point? Life wouldn't really be fulfilling,
would it? Just break out a hex editor and live like a king.

--
silky

  http://www.programmingbranch.com/