[FoRK] Apple collecting, sharing iPhone users' precise locations

Jeremy Apthorp nornagon at nornagon.net
Mon Jun 21 20:33:36 PDT 2010

On 22 June 2010 13:28, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo <ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> --- On Mon, 6/21/10, Jeremy Apthorp <nornagon at nornagon.net> wrote:
>
>> It's also worth noting that privacy is a relatively new concept. As
>> far as I can tell, it started being important to people around the
>> mid-1700s: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=timeline-a-history-of-privacy
>>
>> Why did privacy not matter to people before then?
>>

> Why do you think it didn't matter to people before then?

Perhaps communities were smaller and it was likely that everyone would
end up knowing everything about you anyway, so it wasn't worth trying
to protect your privacy. Perhaps there was less to hide (nobody had
secret horse porn stashes). Perhaps it was easier keep certain things
private: you simply didn't talk about them. Perhaps people were more
accepting that sometimes people did/said stupid things, and were more
willing to forgive and forget.