[FoRK] Extreme Life Extension: Investing in Cryonics for the Long, Long Term

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Mon Jun 21 20:56:53 PDT 2010

On Jun 21, 2010, at 10:34 PM, silky <michaelslists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I'm not suggesting a lot of time is spent on their practical
> consideration, until the time comes that a direct copy is made and
> removed. I.e. consider the Star Trek transporter. Why don't they keep
> a copy of Jim on the ship each time he's teleported; because that way
> you've got a backup, and it's almost certainly possible (unless their
> teleportation stategy relies on the removal of the other, which is
> strange but maybe plausible).

Well, actually, they did come up with that idea: the "transporter buffers."  As a narrative device it was a complete disaster.  Once these showed up, nothing that they did (or did not) do ever really made any sense ever again.  I keep waiting for Brandon Braga to tell us all that everything that happened during and after TNG (which, aside, I never really watched.  Not much of a Trek fan...) was a dream.

Cut to scene of Shatner as Kirk, ski-jumping shark...

jb