[FoRK] Extreme Life Extension: Investing in Cryonics for the Long, Long Term

silky michaelslists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 21:07:06 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo
<ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> --- On Mon, 6/21/10, silky <michaelslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> > (FYI, this is the Ship of Theseus argument I referred to as it applies to this topic.  Over the years, Theseus
>> > replaces each plank in his ship in the course of repairs. At which point is it no longer the "same" ship?)
>>
>> Yes, I like this. In my opinion it's always the same ship. I never
>> die, under that model. It's certainly a preferential approach to
>> changing to a machine. But of course, It's not practical.
>>

> GAK!! ???   Say what??   Why "not practical"??
>
> Isn't that already what the human body does normally? And isn't that what gene therapy is at least partly
> about? To help the body keep on doing it accurately instead of the replacement bits slowly degrading over
> time?

I know nothing about gene therapy, but I would imagine that replacing
neurons in the brain n by n is harder than copying the consciousness
into a computer. That said, one is a field I'm interested in and one
isn't, so that may explain my position.

> On balance, given the probability of some medical researchers giving us [back?] the ability to grow back our
> tail when it gets chopped off versus someone figuring out how to successfully thaw us out way far in the future
> *AND* have the attendant required ability waiting to fix whatever was so badly broken that it killed us, I'll put my
> money on growing back our tails so we stay alive and healthy rather than having to die, get frozen, get thawed,
> get fixed and get reinserted successfully back into society.

Agreed, I don't think cryogenics is the "best" way of sustaining life
(but I mean, by definition almost it's a short term solution, and for
that I suppose it does do it's job, just as yet unproven?).

> (I can't believe I just wrote that one sentence... Good thing you'all are smart enough to figure it out cuz I'm way
> too lazy to chop it apart.)
>
> Replacing the planks looks a helluva lot more promising to me.

Replacing body parts with machine parts is probably pretty promising,
agreed. But doing the same thing to the brain is pretty interesting. I
don't know what the research in that area is. Maybe there are
interesting things happening there; it would be interesting to learn
about.

--
silky

  http://www.programmingbranch.com/