[FoRK] Apple collecting, sharing iPhone users' precise locations

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Mon Jun 21 22:26:43 PDT 2010

--- On Mon, 6/21/10, Jeremy Apthorp <nornagon at nornagon.net> wrote:

> > As well as secret violations of trust demanding
> privacy, I'm sure there are pure motives. I only use the
> prurient because it's so much easier for illustrative
> purposes.  ;-)
>
> I don't even know what you're talking about here. My best guess is
> that you are being sarcastic and/or intentionally pejorative, so I'll
> ignore it.

Actually it was neither sarcastic nor intentionally pejorative. It was a completely serious summation.

Stay with me here, please:

- Secrecy demands privacy.

- The need for secrecy is part of the human condition.

- It's easiest to illustrate this through prurient examples, e.g. secret assignations (screwing your neighbour's wife or daughter), embezzling from your business partner or employer, et many ceteras.

- There may also be pure motives for wanting privacy. I will even stipulate that there are. But examples of prurient human motives are easier to illustrate my point with because everyone understands them and nobody questions their existance. The current evidence bombards us constantly. The historical record is full to bursting with them. Including the bible and perhaps even older tomes.

So, Yes, privacy is necessary. The human condition demands it. How much is necessary? Well, I already answered that one.

Ignore all that if you choose. It really doesn't matter. Life will go on in all it's glorious prurience. For as long as we have sufficient privacy to have secrecy.  ;-)

      ...ken...