[FoRK] Fw: Re: Extreme Life Extension: Investing in Cryonics for the Long, Long Term

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Mon Jun 21 22:33:42 PDT 2010

[This post originally went straight to Silky instead of the list.]

> --- On Mon, 6/21/10, silky <michaelslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > (FYI, this is the Ship of Theseus argument I referred to as it applies to this topic.  Over the years, Theseus replaces each plank in his ship in the course of repairs. At which point is it no longer the "same" ship?)
>
> Yes, I like this. In my opinion it's always the same ship. I never
> die, under that model. It's certainly a preferential approach to
> changing to a machine. But of course, It's not practical.

 GAK!! ???   Say what??   Why "not practical"??

 Isn't that already what the human body does normally? And
 isn't that what gene therapy is at least partly about? To
 help the body keep on doing it accurately instead of the
 replacement bits slowly degrading over time?

 On balance, given the probability of some medical
 researchers giving us [back?] the ability to grow back our
 tail when it gets chopped off versus someone figuring out
 how to successfully thaw us out way far in the future *AND*
 have the attendant required ability waiting to fix whatever
 was so badly broken that it killed us, I'll put my money on
 growing back our tails so we stay alive and healthy rather
 than having to die, get frozen, get thawed, get fixed and
 get reinserted successfully back into society.

 (I can't believe I just wrote that one sentence... Good
 thing you'all are smart enough to figure it out cuz I'm way
 too lazy to chop it apart.)

 Replacing the planks looks a helluva lot more promising to
 me.

          ...ken...