[FoRK] Apple collecting, sharing iPhone users' precise locations

Jeremy Apthorp nornagon at nornagon.net
Mon Jun 21 23:36:51 PDT 2010

On 22 June 2010 16:14, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo <ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> --- On Tue, 6/22/10, Jeremy Apthorp <nornagon at nornagon.net> wrote:
>> You're saying privacy is fundamentally important because it's
>> fundamentally important to us that we be able to screw people over in
>> secret? I don't believe that to be the case.
>
> No, you just said that. I didn't.
>
> I simply said prurient motives are some reasons why privacy matters to some people.
>
> That would seem sufficient to establish that it does and did matter.
>
> You asked if privacy matters. Well, actually, you asked why it *didn't* matter to people before the mid-1700s. I don't recall you saying "fundamentally important" or any other timeframe, but whatever....

>From my first post:

> I still don't even really
> understand what privacy *is*, or  whether it's inherently important.

'Inherently' seems pretty similar to 'fundamental,' to me, and I used
the present tense of 'to be' in describing my question.

> Wanting to avoid getting caught doing something that might be severely punishable seems pretty "fundamental" to me.

Is it fundamental to functioning society that people doing potentially
seriously punishable things be able to conceal such?

> I offer at least one class of examples which illustrates specifically that privacy matters. Matters now and mattered long before the mid-1700s.

Matters to individual people in individual situations, not matters to
society as a concept.

> Why don't you believe that to be the case? Are you saying none of that ever happened/happens? Or that if it happened/happens, privacy was/is of no import to those involved?

Privacy is clearly important to people. I have conceded that perhaps
privacy has always been important to people. The question remains:
will privacy always be important to people? Stephen pointed out that
people are sharing more and more of their personal lives with the
world via social networking services. Will that come back to bite us,
or is it the New Way?