[FoRK] Whole Brain Emulation: A Roadmap

silky michaelslists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 04:51:34 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> Excellent overview by Bostrom. Should be required reading for further
> discussion of the related topics, for folks who haven't already and / or are
> not close to the subject matter.

On page 108 they seem to rule out the "gradual replacement" as
proposed by, I think, Ken.

> http://www.fhi.ox.ac.uk/Reports/2008-3.pdf
>
> I quibble with a few of the estimates etc., but think this is a fairly
> conservative and useful overview.  One example quibble:  if you can get away
> with only simulating certain structures at high fidelity, such as the
> neocortex, and merely provide functional analogues of others, the picture
> changes somewhat.  And there is a big difference depending on the resolution
> of the simulation of the relevant parts.  If you can abstract certain things
> like electrochemical potentials and gradients, you get there cheaper and
> faster than if you have to simulate down to the molecular level, dynamics
> and all.

Well, I haven't read the whole thing yet, but it also doesn't cater
for a world in which the brain to exist. That is, it assumes it lives
in our world, and not its own simulated world. So it would need to
have all the relevant interaction abilities that we do, to be a
typical replacement. Nevermind the possible attacks on it. Securing
brains from being manipulated would be important. Also, poor nature
would have no way to affect it via evolution. Which would mean we'd
kind of die.

> Enjoy,
>
> jb

silky