[FoRK] Extreme Life Extension: Investing in Cryonics for the Long, Long Term

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Jun 22 07:49:56 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 01:34:13PM +1000, silky wrote:

> Yes, I'm not suggesting a lot of time is spent on their practical
> consideration, until the time comes that a direct copy is made and
> removed. I.e. consider the Star Trek transporter. Why don't they keep
> a copy of Jim on the ship each time he's teleported; because that way
> you've got a backup, and it's almost certainly possible (unless their
> teleportation stategy relies on the removal of the other, which is
> strange but maybe plausible).
>
> I agree though, it's an arguably useless consideration until the
> technology exists.

The technology does exist. Has existed for a while, actually.

You can run two or more computers synchronized, using a global
clock. (They *could* be running a copy of Neuron or another emulator
simulating a particular neural network -- say, a gastric ganglion.
Or you could run the same network with a different input, so they'd
diverge).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymnaea or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_spider

would be pretty good stepping stones on the way to a cybermouse. There has
been plenty of impressive advances both in in vivo recording
and scanning, as well as automatic model building from volumetric
datasets.