[FoRK] 2000 iMac compared to the 2010 iPhone

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Jun 22 08:01:15 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 01:13:14PM -0700, Adam L Beberg wrote:

> The days of the desktop are over, have been for some time. We had a

Not unless you have to do some heavy lifting. You simply
cannot dissipate a kW or so without some serious coolant
throughput. You simply can't fit some 32 drives into
a notebook.

> class of 300 college juniors and seniors, with ~150-200 in the room,

Hmm, not a good sample, perhaps. They're still mobile,
and low on cash. A notebook is portable, and they need
a computer.

> nobody put their hand up when we asked who had a desktop. A couple knew
> "gamers" that had them.

It's strange, I'd assume 80% of them would be gamers.
This is CS?

> Servers are for scientists, ISPs (Cloud Service Providers, hype hype).

Well, we're not typical, but there's plenty of use for
a file server on a home LAN. It's where your multimedia
resides, for instance. Normal people do play HD video from
mass storage, don't they? Some of them even have multi-TByte
NAS, I presume.

> Desktops for some engineers, and computer labs.
> Laptops for the creative class, and the default option.

Meh, the ergonomics sucks. I insist on my Model M, gaming-grade
rodent and triple-head 24".

> iPad/iPhone class for the consumer class.

I think I could save a fortune on online journal subscription
and ebook warez with a tablet. Nevermind that I've quite distinctly
have ran out of bookshelf space, again.

> Things are finally starting to look like they should :)

DynaBook, hooray.