[FoRK] Apple collecting, sharing iPhone users' precise locations

Reese howell.r at inkworkswell.com
Tue Jun 22 09:01:01 PDT 2010

On 22-Jun-10 01:39, Jeremy Apthorp wrote:
> On 22 June 2010 15:26, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo<ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca>  wrote:

>> So, Yes, privacy is necessary. The human condition demands it. How much is necessary? Well, I already answered that one.
>
> Ah, I see what you mean now, but I don't understand.
>
> You're saying privacy is fundamentally important because it's
> fundamentally important to us that we be able to screw people over in
> secret? I don't believe that to be the case.

As Ken indicated, the principle is easier to illustrate with the
prurient examples. Here are a few non-prurient examples for your
consideration:

  - Atlas Shrugged, the black box* that provided energy to the
    cloistered communities that had withdrawn from society at
    large. I've seen it called an "energia ex machina," it is
    what makes Rand a fiction author and not a serious philosopher.
    See "trade secrets" and "snake oil, swindling."
  - Your / my / his / her political affiliations, assuming the party
    line and deviation from it can affect employment or employability,
    mobility (imprisonment), etc. Political prisoners. Changing
    registered political party solely for purposes of employment.
    Having that change used against you, later in life.
  - Non-harmful-to-others neurosis, where exposure causes harm to
    the otherwise neurotic but productive citizen.

Need I go on?

Reese