[FoRK] "Two faces of the Tea Party"

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Wed Jun 23 05:03:41 PDT 2010

On Jun 22, 2010, at 8:20, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2010, at 7:55 AM, Russell Turpin wrote:
>
>> I had pretty much associated the Tea Party with Glenn Beck and his
>> fans, so it was interesting to read an article contrasting that
>> with a
>> sane faction:
>>
>> http://weeklystandard.com/articles/two-faces-tea-party
>
> I am both relieved that you've come to this conclusion, finally, and
> a bit dismayed that it took an article in the Weekly Standard, not
> my own pointing out substantially all of the points made here, that
> got you there.

In case the pertinent implication was missed:  as I've said before
there are far fewer true neocons out there than most people actually
think, 10s of them.  Probably two orders of magnitude greater "second
order" neocons.

Krystol is part of the first group, as was his father. Barnes is also
part of the first group, though more of an associate member and loyal
lapdog.

  While they have other fora for "serious" discussion amongst
themselves and for jousting with and / or coordination with other
occassionally sympatico conservative factions, The Weekly Standard is
THE popular mouthpiece and propaganda organ for these folks.

So my dismay is two-fold:  first that Russell didn't apparently find
the arguments convincing when somebody he has a long association with
and who is vehemently opposed to these dorks made the points, and
separately and moreso that he DID when it was made by them in their
branded channel, absent source filtering (which I usually discourage...)

But the Standard is a notable exception to that rule: everything there
has layers of nuanced truth and misinformation that require tedious
care and massive context to tease apart.

That said, they are finding truth to be on their side, temporarily,
these days and I find little to quibble with in that particular article.

jb