[FoRK] Sent from my iPad

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Wed Jun 23 05:26:52 PDT 2010

On Jun 22, 2010, at 9:55, Reese <howell.r at inkworkswell.com> wrote:

> For one example, there is a lot of clothing I simply won't wear,
> because
> the manufacturer label is too prominent. Does that make me quirky,
> eccentric or qualify me for the "fucktard" label you sling around on
> occasion?

Absolutely not, though I mean no slight by denying you that
honorific / label of ironic acclaimation. ;-)

As mentioned somewhere in the last thousand or so messages beating
this stillborn horse, I have the same quirk myself.  I am generally so
averse to logos and labeling that I too avoid them in most
circumstances.

The pragmatic exception to that rule:  ball caps, which I wear pretty
much constantly, and gimme shirts I used to get at tech trade shows
back when I frequented those circuits.  Those comprised a substantial
part of my wardrobe throughout my hardscrabble entrepreneurial days
before making the leap to finance.

Recently I took the tattered remains of a few dozen of those t-shirts
and gave them to my mother-in-law who made me a couple of heirloom
patchwork quilts out of them.

Pretty amusing: a kind of visual history of the tech startup world
through most of the '90s and early Oughts, interspersed with the
occasional concert shirt from bands I liked during that period, or
bands that my little side-project entertainment co back then booked,
promoted or produced.  One or two vacation souvenir t-shirts mixed in,
too...

jb