[FoRK] "Two faces of the Tea Party"

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Wed Jun 23 11:05:57 PDT 2010

On Jun 23, 2010, at 11:26, Russell Turpin <russell.turpin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
>> "Batshit crazy" is evenly distributed in all directions in
>> political space. ...
>
> I see no reason to think that is the case for any particular nation
> and time period.

Agreed.  There are definitely dynamics.  Perhaps over a large enough
population and time scale.

I'm being a bit disingenuous, though. I don't fully subscribe to this
point of view, though it *is* the one that motivates the usual
analyses of democracy.

My own skepticisms largely follow Caplan's, amply laid out in his
popular book and other writings.

The whole post was intended a bit ironically.  If the effect described
was real, we would always find ourselves in a calm sea of reason.
Instead we whipsaw from Bush-batshit crazy to Obama-batshit crazy, ad
infinitum, a perpetual perfect storm.

Democracy is fashion, not reason.  But with profound consequences.

jb