[FoRK] "Two faces of the Tea Party"

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Wed Jun 23 14:20:43 PDT 2010

On Jun 23, 2010, at 14:45, "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> On 6/23/10 11:05 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:
>> On Jun 23, 2010, at 11:26, Russell Turpin
>> <russell.turpin at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I see no reason to think that is the case for any particular nation
>>> and time period.
>
> Often it is the tolerance, in a bad way, that makes people
> uncomfortable with the Tea Party.  In other words, even if batshit
> crazy is evenly distributed, there is a big difference between a
> group that silently ignores and routes around that faction and
> another that elevates it to the highest ideal or at least allows it
> to be most vocal without attenuation.  Sort of the "speaking in
> tongues" of politics.  The sane Tea Partiers are often practicing
> polite silence (as I defined it a while back) far too much, thereby
> enabling crazy, probably because they are addicted to the apparent
> incremental success and too lazy to care about the negative
> consequences.  They likely realize that, mostly, they don't have a
> viable alternative reality to pitch.

I think the perceptions of the extent and magnitude of the craziness,
particularly here, are exaggerated by the media.  The cosmopolitan,
progressive, sensationalistic media.  They are mesmerized, terrified,
and have axes to grind and audiences to amuse.

> Some reason I think, but reason being whispered at a party where
> half the people are drunk and listening to the band or napping.
> It's often not cool to be a reason-geek either, until the chips are
> down and suddenly everyone is mad at everyone else for not being
> more sane when it was cheap and easy.

+1.  Important to separate politics in practice and politics in
theory.  Ever the gulf between theory and practice...

jb