[FoRK] Extreme Life Extension: Investing in Cryonics for the Long, Long Term

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Wed Jun 23 21:56:30 PDT 2010

--- On Tue, 6/22/10, Reese <howell.r at inkworkswell.com> wrote:

> On 20-Jun-10 21:15, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
> > ...My attention and interest is currently focussed on
> figuring out how to fix the carburetion on my new motorcycle
> to restore what the EPA taketh away. Fairly basic physics
> principles involved but getting it all to work together
> properly seems to also involve Voo-Doo and other
> metaphysical elements. I have ordered new jets and have a
> couple of sacrificial events scheduled.
>
> You should also look at the exhaust system. It is possible to keep the
> volume down while reducing some of the back pressure. Of course, reduced
> back pressure also means "leaner" so rejetting is called for just for
> that reason, but you seem to be on top of that.  ;)

Yep. Not going to happen. I hate loud bikes. I hate riding them and I hate hearing them. None of the available aftermarket exhausts are as quiet as the stocker, which is already a tad noisy for my tastes.

I will be working entirely at the other end ... opening up the entry to the air box to at least take full advantage of the stock exhaust, then doing the final jetting to accomodate that. E.g. it's already way lean on all jets from the needle to the main. Opening up the air box a bit will make it more so. So final jetting to match.

Based on the experience of hundreds of others who have done the mods, this adds a bit of power across the entire power band and, more importantly and usefully, makes the delivery smoother and more predictable, especially at smaller throttle openings (needle jet size and taper change).

> You didn't say what kind of bike,...

Suzuki DRZ400SM (the SM stands for Super Moto). It's basically a dirt bike with sportbike wheels. The suspension and gearing are tweaked to prefer pavement performance a little, versus it's dirtier sister models. The genre is called "hooligan bikes" due to the ease of tricking with them.

Picture here:
http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/ken/2009-Suzuki-DR-Z400SMa.jpg

> I've been seeing fuel injection on some - you did say carburetor, you might want to look into a fuel-injection upgrade and see what that might do for you.

It would give me a headache. To unwind the spells cast by the EPA would require figuring out how to code a completely new performance profile to program the EFI computer. It's probably not flashable anyway, just to prevent such shennanigans. And I don't have a personal dynamometer out in the shop to do the necessary testing.

The bike is a little over 300lbs and makes in the low 30s horsepower. That's a power to weight ratio of a little better than 1:10. That's more than adequate to scare anyone with half a brain if you decide to twist its tail hard.  8-)

         ...ken...